Wednesday, October 20, 2004

101 years in 101 words

We asked all you eggheads to sit down, stop doing naff all and come up with some awesome stories to illustrate that dumbing down is a thing of the past.
A study of when new words became common during the past century has had some surprising findings, such as the word "celebs" being used in 1913, the word "sex" meaning sexual intercourse being first used in 1929, and "mobile phone" dating from 1945.
Egghead (1907), wizard (1922), punk (1974), beatnik (1958), hot-desking (1991), and dumb down (1933) might also strike you as being whizzo (1905).
To mark this linguistic love-in (1967), we invited you to create a story of 150 words maximum using as many of the words from the list as possible. Special recognition was given to entries that worked as convincing stories in their own right.
...
"Dear John - It's over. I used to think you were sexy and cool with your mobile phone and bling bling. Turns out you were nothing but a chav with your cheap trainers listening to hip-hop. I found out you had a love in with an It-girl at the drive-in, and I'm pissed off. All I ever got was a cheeseburger at a fast food joint. You can keep her, with her miniskirt, wonderbra and kitten heels. I'm off to the Big Apple to find me a hip, celeb, toyboy with megabucks. We'll dance the bossa nova and he'll feed me a bagel and latte after a night of hot sex. When I return you'll go into a tailspin and get the blues, I'll be so awesome with my botox and avant garde clothing. Sorry for the text message, but I have to boogie on out of here. Cheerio. "

No comments: