Friday, June 17, 2005

OpTruth: The Pain Our Families Endure

I was talking to my sister on the phone when the bell rang so Lori answered the door. I heard her scream something and then I realized she was saying "NO, NO..." over and over again. I dropped the phone and ran. A man in uniform stood in the doorway. I looked at his face and suddenly it registered. Two more uniforms stood behind him. Lori was still holding her head and screaming something. At that moment things began to happen in slow motion. I realized that they were here to deliver ghastly news. I hoped to God that it wasn't what I thought. I began to bargain in my mind, "Please God let it be an injury, not a fatality." But I knew better. They call if your solider is injured. There is only one reason they come to the door.

No comments: