Saturday, July 30, 2005

Another Day - Living and working in Mahmudiyah, Iraq.

Ok, it's now official. On every Tuesday and Friday the chow hall will be serving lunch. So far it's only been hotdogs and hamburgers, but not too bad. The best thing about our chow hall is the fruit. I don't know where they get it or how they always manage to get fresh produce everyday, but it's great. I only wish they could get Georgia peaches instead of the California ones, BIG difference in taste.
I've been playing with the Google Earth program, I can almost see the window to Randy's apartment. I can actually see the little sidewalk in front that he walks on everyday to go to his car. He calculated out how far we are from one another; approximately 6,891.93 miles (give or take a few feet). Wow, that's far. Guess I can't swim that after all, oh well.
Yesterday we had a RPG attack on the FOB. It was around 9pm or so and landed about 300 meters or so outside of one of the gates. I slept right through it, everyone else said it woke them up it was so loud. Maybe I'm getting used to bombs after all. No one was hurt during the attack and I have no idea if they caught the guys who did it.
After work yesterday I came back to a sweltering hot tent, the air-conditioning wasn't working AGAIN. Every other day or so this happens, it's so annoying because no one else's air goes out, just ours. So I ended up hanging out at the PX for the 2 hours before chow. I talked politics and money with one of my buddies there. For a moment I almost felt like I was back at school again. I miss Agnes Scott College.
SPC Lauren Schreck

No comments: