Tuesday, April 12, 2005

PTSD and Civilian Deaths

"I was in the infantry; my job was to fight," Jones said. "We had a lot of casualties. I had to pick up several of my friends piece by piece. I had to kill women, children, old men - everyone."
Since returning back to civilian life, he was diagnosed with PTSD. Getting help from the Marion VA, however, has been difficult he said. Jones refuses to take medications for his condition, but the wait to see a VA counselor can take up to three months.
"I haven't had a chance for therapy," Jones said.
Jones said most all of his buddies are also experiencing the same struggles.
According to a study published in July 2004 in the New England Journal of Medicine, one in five veterans is returning home from the Middle East with PTSD. A report released in September by the Government Accountability Office estimates the VA is treating up to 244,000 patients suffering with PTSD. Officials at six of the seven VA facilities visited by the GAO reported they may not be able to meet the increased demand for PTSD services caused by the war in Iraq.

No comments: