Thursday, October 06, 2005

White House Denies BBC Report of President Saying God Ordered Attacks on Iraq, Afghanistan

The White House this afternoon denied, and called “absurd,” a report on the British BBC today that President Bush had once said that God instructed him to attack Afghanistan and Iraq.
The BBC program, “Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arab,” features interviews with top Palestinian officials who claim that in a meeting in June 2003, Bush said, “I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq …" And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God I'm gonna do it.'"
Asked by reporters about this today, Press Secretary Scott McClellan said, “That's absurd. He never made such remarks.”
Pressed further, McClellan said he was not at that 2003 meeting, but added, “I've been in many meetings with the President with world leaders where he's talked about this…. I checked into that report and I stand by what I just said.”

No comments: